• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Sleep deprivation

Sammy Enriquez
A student asleep before class starts.

Among teens, sleep deprivation has become increasingly more common. According to a study done by the APTA, the American Physical Therapy Association, they found that more than two out of three high school-aged adolescents are not getting enough sleep. It is suggested by professionals that high school-aged kids get anywhere from eight to ten hours of sleep a night. This is the amount their bodies need to improve brain performance, mood, and health. However, for many students this is not the case. Students often find themselves staying up late daily, to get their homework done. This is even more commonly seen in athletes or students involved in extracurricular activities.

For some students it seems as if there are not enough hours in the day to get everything done, so they work into the night, cutting their sleep in down. The average high schooler gets around seven hours every night. For some students, even less. This is very harmful not only right now but also for their future. Not getting enough sleep regularly, raises the risk of getting many diseases and disorders. These could range anywhere from heart diseases and strokes to obesity and dementia.

The lack of sleep in students can greatly their school work as well. The less sleep a student gets, the more tired they are during the day, affecting their levels of concentration and work ethic. Lack of sleep can not only affect one’s physical health, but it can massively affect one’s mental health as well. Sleep deficiency has been linked to signs of depression, suicide, and risk-taking behaviors. 

Regarding sleep habits, junior Simran Dhillon said, “I’d say I usually get around three hours on school nights.” Dhillon also said, “I definitely think my lack of sleep affects me negatively during the day.” On the other hand, junior Hailey Byron said, “I usually get seven to eight hours… I think it is necessary for me because I’m an athlete and won’t do my best in school if I don’t get that much.” This just goes to show how important a good night’s sleep is. It is very important that students are trying their best to get an adequate amount of sleep every night.