Hike for health

Emily Syed
A gorgeous view from the Long Canyon Trail, located in Simi Valley.

Feeling stressed out from finals or bored from your same old weekend routine? Well one thing you can do is lace up some sneakers and go for a hike. Either with friends and family or alone, hiking has so many health benefits that could lead to a constant weekend hobby. 

As stated, hiking has many health benefits including improving cardiovascular health, enhancing muscle growth, and reducing stress and anxiety. Fresh air, natural light, and peaceful surroundings can help clear your mind and boost your mood. Also, hiking is a great bonding activity as it ensures plenty of time to chat and laugh with others. Senior Skyla Shulman said, “I love going on hikes on hot weekend mornings with my boyfriend. It’s such a nice way to get some exercise while also spending quality time together.”

There are multiple hiking trails throughout Simi Valley. One popular trailhead called Wood Ranch trailhead is close to school and is 2.9 miles and dog friendly. Another hiking trail and arguably one of the most popular ones is called Simi Cross that ends at a big Cross on top of a hill. This trail is also a little over two miles and takes around one hour to complete on average. This hike is very popular with students as well as athletes as the cross country team ran to the top this season. The longest trail in Simi Valley is the Long Canyon trail that is a whopping 16 miles according to https://www.realtordavid.com. Junior Kylie Landaker said, “I’m always outside, either running, playing sports, or going on hikes. I’ve been able to go out and find many different trails around here but I think my favorite in Simi is Hummingbird and my favorite a little farther out is Paradise Falls in TO. Hummingbird is a very steep and hard trail but the workout is great. Paradise Falls is just beautiful throughout the full loop.”