An incredible concert

Wind Ensemble performing music from the Incredibles.
Kristen Miller

On Friday, May 17, Orchestral Winds, Wind Symphony and Wind Ensemble performed the Incredible Spring Concert in the MPR. 

Among the band students, the favorite songs that were played are Pixar Movie Magic, Arabian Dances, and the Incredibles. Pixar Movie Magic was played by wind symphony, while Arabian Dances and the Incredibles were performed by the wind ensemble. 

Many band students, such as freshman Kyle Miller, freshman Sophia Rossellini and junior Maggie Umali, started playing in band classes in middle school. Even the band teacher, Mrs. Pate, has been in band for a long time. She’s been teaching high school band for 17 years, 16 of those years being at Royal. 

Everyone has a favorite instrument. For example, Miller’s favorite instruments are trumpet and bass clarinet, while junior Hannah Zeman’s favorite instrument is cello. “I hate to say this, but saxophone because it’s the one I play,” Pate said about what her favorite instrument is. 

A band tradition is that as part of the last concert, seniors get what is called a “senior solo”. Senior Logan Furman performed Hungarian Dance No. five. Those who are familiar with the song know that it is not a slow nor a short song. 

Play a string instrument and want to be in band? Look no further than Royal’s band program. Starting next school year, the band will be including strings into the program. “Because it’s the first year, there are no auditions,” Pate said about the strings program next year. However, after next year auditions will be required.

Senior Logan Furman performing Hungarian dance no. 5. (Kristen Miller)