• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Academic weapons

Emily Syed
After a volleyball practice at a local gym.

Playing a sport and balancing school and home life is challenging enough for a high school student. Throughout this school year, 13 of our school’s athletic teams, boys and girls teams, have been named CIF-SS all-Academic honors because the athletes were able to maintain a high, above average, GPA during their season.

Recent data from the school’s academic records highlight that the average GPA of multiple sports and student athletes are significantly higher than even the average GPA. These sports include: Football with an average 3.06 GPA, Girls Basketball, 3.15, Boys Water Polo, 3.20, Boys Track, 3.32, Boys Basketball, 3.39, Baseball, 3.46, Girls Soccer, 3.49, Girls Golf, 3.63, Girls Water Polo, 3.69, Girls Beach Volleyball, 3.71, Girls Track, 3.71, Girls Volleyball, 3.71, Girls Tennis, 3.27. Additionally, the Girls Lacrosse team earned the highest unweighted GPA for Girls Lacrosse in the entire CIF Southern Section at 3.82, and was honored on April 22 at an Angels game. 

Being a student athlete is not all fun and games. Being able to manage their time and stress, balance and adapt to different schedules and being able to be flexible are important qualities that these students have to be able to execute. Senior Ava Hermansen said, “I set a specific after school routine for myself so I get into the habit of getting my work done after practice and I make sure to have extra time.” Picking out your classes ahead of time in order to prepare for your sports season is important as well. Senior basketball player Rosalind Garcia said, “I wanted to make sure my work and class load wasn’t very heavy my senior year. I’ve worked hard over my high school career and I wanted to take it a little slow for my last academic year of high school because I also wanted to keep basketball a part of my life.”