“I see stars”

Senior Crystal Bateman as Gretchen, senior Ashlynn Cunningham as Janis, senior Sadie Gillen as Regina, senior Cassady Woolley as Cady, freshman Juliet Jeffords as Karen, and senior Ethan Pulsipher as Damian during the song “I see stars”.
Kristen Miller

The Royal Players performed Mean Girls in the MPR on a variety of dates and times, from April 11 to April 20. On Saturday April 20 at 1 p.m. was when the understudies got a chance to play their understudy role. 

“Mean Girls” is a teen comedy. The basic plot revolves around a high school girl named Cady Heron, who moves from Africa to the United States and enters a public high school for the first time. She quickly becomes entangled in the complex social hierarchy dominated by a clique known as “The Plastics,” led by the popular and manipulative Regina George.

Different sizes of roles take a varying amount of time. Larger roles take more time than smaller roles. However, understudy roles take the most time because you have to learn two roles. “It’s very time consuming, but I enjoy every part of it,” senior Cassady Woolley said about her role as Cady. 

Some people, like senior Reagan Bystrom, worked well with the person they were understudying. “It’s really hard because you have to learn two parts and it can be hard because you’re competing. But me and Cassady have been bouncing ideas off each other and building each other up,” Bystrom said about working as Woolley’s understudy. 

Depending on the role they received, some people had a harder time than others tapping into their character. “It’s interesting tapping into that, but I can also let out my anger while performing,” senior Sadie Gillen said about tapping into a character like Regina. 

The Royal Players did amazing with their performance of Mean Girls. Senior Aedyn Fredrickson was even nominated for the “No Small Part” category of the Jerry Herman award! Congratulations to all who participated in Mean Girls!

Freshman Juliet Jeffords as Karen, senior Reagan Bystrom as Cady, and junior Eliot Lorenzo as Gretchen having frozen yogurt.
(Kristen Miller)
Senior Becca Cheney as the french teacher, prepared to steal the show. (Kristen Miller)