A long awaited sequel

Jakob Jarrin
The first Dune book was first released in 1965 after having been serialized in Analog Magazine since 1963. Its sequel Dune Messiah began serialization in Galaxy magazine in 1969 and was published in full the same year.

On Friday, March 1, Dune part 2 the long anticipated continuation to 2021’s Dune was released in theaters to widespread acclaim. The film was highly anticipated with many people including those at Royal eagerly awaiting to see it.

It was directed by Denis Villenueve, composed by Hans Zimmer and has many very popular actors in it including Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, Austin Butler, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Christopher Walken and Stellan Skarsgard just to name a few. As of March 11 the film had grossed 367.5 million dollars globally compared to a budget of 190 million dollars. Although it has been out for less than two weeks it is coming close to surpassing the box office of the first film which grossed around 400 million globally when it concluded its theatrical run. This film, as well as the previous one, were based on the book of the same name by Frank Herbert. Due to the length of the novel the first film adapted the beginning parts of the book while this film adapted the rest of it. According to director Denis Villenueve, he intends on adapting the second Dune novel: Dune Messiah.

At this school Mr. Kevin Adams, who teaches 10th grade world history and economics and is a massive Dune fan, went with a group of teachers to see the film on the Thursday night before the official release day. He said, “It’s a movie that could change cinema and get people back to the theater.” Andrea Ortiz Carabajal, a senior said, “I was really confused, because I didn’t rewatch the first one, but it was good.”