• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

President’s Day four day weekend

Jakob Jarrin
After returning to school from the four day weekend, Ian Cervantes is messaging one of his friends he talked with over the long weekend.

From Friday February 16, to Monday February 19, students had a four day weekend due to President’s Day and a staff development day. President’s Day is meant to celebrate the birthdays of our first president, George Washington as well as our sixteenth president, Abraham Lincoln. Washington’s actual birthday is February 22, and Lincoln’s is February 12. Washington’s actual birthday of February 22 was a celebrated holiday among many Americans during the 19th century (1800s), but it was in 1971 that Congress made the holiday fall on a Monday. It is worth noting that the holiday only officially celebrates Washington but many people, include Lincoln due to his birthday being close by and his significance to U.S. history. This holiday also acts as a tribute to the U.S. general who created the first military badge of honor for common soldiers.

As for what students did with their four day weekend, there were a variety of different activities done by students. Freshman Kyle Miller, regarding what he did over the long weekend, said, “I made money.” Two seniors, Ryan Siddiq and Jordan Hernandez, went to the movie theater. Hernandez said, “I saw Madame Web, I thought it was terrible.” Siddiq then added, “I watched Madame Web with Jordan, it was so terrible that it was amazing.” Junior Mackenzie Lusk said, “I went to Underwood Family Farms with my family and we went to the market, mined for rocks and went on the tractor ride.” Some people did not go out and just used the weekend to relax at home. Ms. Favreau, the Expository Reading and Writing teacher said, “I just relaxed and hung out with my family.” Ian Cervantes, a senior said, “Spent a lot of time at home. I called friends a lot and listened to a lot of music. I found a pretty scary song about AI called “V.A.N” by Bad Omens.” This four day weekend was an unusual, but greatly appreciated occurrence.