Donating blood

Emily Syed
Junior Emily Albert resting after her blood was taken, seen with a bandage on her arm.

Donating your blood can completely change someone’s life. On February 6, the Red Cross came and visited our campus to allow students to donate blood to those in need. This event was sponsored by two students, junior Mikayla Lev and sophomore Jordan Downey, who are doing a CSI project and coordinating this year’s blood drive. Students of all grades and staff were given the opportunity to sign up and donate their blood during school hours. 

Students 17 years and older are allowed to donate without parent consent and students younger with it. Starting with being pulled out of class with an excused note, donors were brought into our new auditorium to be seated at a waiting area. Once called, your blood pressure was taken by a nurse and you were asked questions regarding your health, recent travels, and lifestyle. Junior Emily Albert said, “Yeah it was all simple stuff. Getting your blood pressure taken was super easy and getting blood drawn wasn’t bad either.”

After questions and pre-donation steps, you were taken over to the far corner of the auditorium where blood was taken from you. The Red Cross had you lay down on a flat surface when you gave blood. They sanitized the area of your arm and then stick a new and sterile needle into your vein. It took about 10 minutes for your blood to be taken, which is a pint full. Once finished you were bandaged up and asked to sit for about 30 minutes to make sure your body and mind had recovered. 

Donating blood can and will save someone’s life. Hospitals are always in need of blood and you can sign up and find a location to donate today, or of course wait until next year’s school blood drive. Senior Rosie Valenzuela said that she donated because, “My mom had a friend who desperately needed blood. She suggested I donate so that I can help others in need and even save a life.”