Stanley cups gone wild

Sophomores Julia Gashue, Kaitlyn Astrosky, Kate Tewhittaker, and Ryan Kavner staying refreshed during the lunch break with their Stanley cups
Olivia Cleary

Reusable drinking cups such as Hydro Flasks and Thermo Flasks have become increasingly popular throughout the years. Social media trends like VSCO girls, have been the main reason for these cups to grow in popularity, considering how much they preached about saving the environment. However, as time passed and people eventually lost interest in these flasks, a new trend in cups emerged: Stanley Cups!

You may be wondering what makes these cups so special. Well, according to 12th grader Kassady Crowther, she claimed, “They have a straw, they have a handle, and they keep ice nice and cold for hours!” Many would agree with her opinion, especially since the handles of these cups are designed for not only right handed people, but also left. They also have an assortment of various different colors, designs, and collaborations with different companies. One of these companies that has taken Stanley by storm is none other than America’s favorite coffee place, Starbucks. During winter break, when word got out that this Starbucks and Stanley collaboration would be creating a cup, which was a hot pink metallic shade with both company logos on it, people went crazy over how cute the style was. Resellers also took advantage of this news when they found out how the cups would be a limited edition and would also be in stores for only a few weeks. Therefore, people tried to get their hands on these viral cups as soon as possible, even if it meant waiting hours for stores to open so they could be the first to buy it. 

In the present day, these Starbucks/Stanley cups are no longer being sold for their original price, which was $49.99. Now, if you want to buy one, you have to rely on websites with resellers, such as eBay and StockX. How much are these resellers charging you may ask? Well, the range in prices has skyrocketed to $200-$1,000! Hearing about these new prices, Principal Mr. Hall questioned, “Who pays that much for a Stanley Cup?!” Many people can agree with Hall’s questioning, considering how outrageous the cost is for such a cup. However, Hall also stated, “I do like this trend with Stanley Cups though because it’s not a bad influence and it also keeps the students hydrated.” With that being said, along with our fellow Highlanders showing spirit in these cups, it is safe to say that our school welcomes this new trend with open arms!

Starbucks Stanley cup being resold on eBay for $448.