• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

FAFSA Process

Aiden Krause
Make a FAFSA ID to start your application for financial aid.

All seniors are able to fill out a FAFSA form starting December 31 to June 30 for the upcoming fall term. The government provides money for students choosing to go to college, all you have to do is fill out an application on the internet.

The average cost of going to college for four years is a shocking $146,000 dollars, according to Bestcolleges.com. Education should not be this expensive. This is the reason the government can give up to $7,395 dollars per year just in grants to the students who need it the most. The form takes less than an hour to fill out and is an extremely easy process. Senior Jonah Krause said, “At first there was a soft launch so I could not access the form for a few days. Other than that, the process was very easy.” Those who need help filling it out, there is help available on campus. College and career counselor Laura Cuneo said, “There are a lot of resources available, including right here on campus in the CCC.” These workshops are in the library during the day. The dates remaining for the on campus workshops are January 31, February 22, February 28, March 6, and March 21.  

The form asks you for the colleges you are applying to and it automatically sends the colleges your FAFSA form. Cuneo said, “Completing and submitting the FAFSA form is free and it allows students to have access to resources to fund their college plans, whether they attend a two or four year college.  Sometimes FAFSA funds will even apply to trade or vocational schools.  FAFSA information is also often used to determine eligibility for financial aid and scholarships from individual colleges as well.”  The money is first come first serve, which means the faster you fill it out the more money could get. The United States Department of Education announced that it has already received over one million applicants.