Annual food drive

Jakob Jarrin
The bag used for donations in Ms. Spielman’s class.

From November 27 to December 15, Royal hosted a food drive for charity where students could donate a variety of foods. How it worked was that each non-perishable food item was worth one point with some items being worth three points. Students donated these foods to their 4th period class and the three classes with the most amount of points were to receive a pizza party. The reason why certain foods were worth three points is because certain food items get donated way more than others. Assistant Principal Ms. Myszkowski who is in charge of the food drive said, “The most common food donated is Top Ramen, Cup O Noodles, and other soup.  Although this is appreciated, you can imagine that eating this every day could get boring. The items that Ventura County Food Share most desires is canned protein, peanut butter, large bags of rice and beans, and vegetables. That’s why we are giving three points for these important items.” In addition to these items, full boxes of cereal were also worth three points. 

As for the classes that were in the lead, Ms. Moffets’s class was in the top 3 for a large portion of the food drive. When asked why her class did so well she said, “Not sure why, maybe my one student is really competitive?” (she also said that so far only and student and herself have participated.) As for the winners of the competition, the three runner ups were Furlong, Smith and Moffet’s classes. The top three and the classes which will be receiving a pizza party are Marsh in third place with 277 points, Newbern in second with 558 points and Maye in first place with 647 points.