A Royal holiday

Leah Shahvaladian
Wind Ensemble performing Happy XMAS (War Is Over).

On Friday, December 15, at 7 p.m. the band performed their winter concert. Orchestral Winds started off by playing “A Christmas Festival”. Wind Symphony, the second level concert ensemble, played music from FROZEN. 154 Jazz Ensemble played a more advanced song with a story behind it, “Hot Chocolate” from the Polar Express movie. Freshman trumpet player Nicholas Decker spilt hot chocolate on the brand new carpet and the whole band program would tease him for it. The band director Mrs. Pate humorously gave the students the sheet music for hot chocolate, not even expecting to perform it. However, they loved the song and decided to play it on Friday, and it was a fan favorite.

Audience member Danielle Schwabe said, “I mean I do feel bad for the guy but it made me laugh and the song was so good, especially for it being more advanced.” 154 Jazz Ensemble also had vocalist junior Megan Provenzano singing Santa Baby. The show ended with the Wind Ensemble, the third level concert ensemble. Their most popular song was A Mariah Carey Christmas where they beautifully played a mixture of Carey’s most popular holiday tunes. Junior flute player Natalie McCormick said, “Mariah Carey is my favorite person to listen to during the Christmas time and it was even more fun to learn and perform all the songs.”

Everyone with December birthdays came up to the front and the crowd sang Happy Birthday, it was very heartwarming and a little funny when it came to the name part of the song. This performance was very croweded, more seating was definately needed. Overall, it was very enjoyable night.