• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Students first

Principal Mr. Hall starting off the Brown Bag Lunch introducing himself.
Emily Syed

“Students first” is our principal, Mr. Michael Hall’s philosophy, and the main focus of his and senior Izzy Russell’s Brown Bag Lunch speech on Tuesday, December 11. This Brown Bag Lunch, the very first held in our new MPR, was full of students from every grade, supporting their principal and ASB President Izzy Russell. 

The Brown Bag Lunch Speaker Series is a unique part of Royal that allows students to become more informed and even involved in our school and community. Most social studies classes require students to attend at least two Brown Bag Lunches and complete an assignment. 

Izzy Russell started off the speech by talking about how proud she was of Royal and how excited she was to see student involvement in school activities. “Homecoming this year had over 1,100 students, which is way above average and our school spirit days have been very vibrant and special,” said Russell. “I would love to start more programs and activities to get students more involved in our school community. If any of you or your friends have ideas please come to the administration and pitch them.” 

Following Russell, Hall talked about his involvement with students. His relationships with students are a top priority for him and if an opportunity presents itself to better his school, he will go for it. Hall wants every Highlander to have a safe and fun high school experience and is always open to talk and listen to any student’s concerns. 

At the end of the talk, questions were asked by students including one about construction around campus. Hall said that the 7 building is getting new furniture and the north side of the 6 building will be under construction starting January and the following month will be the back side of the 6. “Hopefully this can be done in a timely manner, but from our previous experiences with construction who knows,” said Hall.