New cell phone policy

Students are now expeceted to leave their cell phone in the classroom while using the restroom.

On Monday, November 13, our school was shocked to hear the news of a new policy that will be enforced on campus from now on. Students were in their classrooms when the first period bell rang, not expecting to hear the announcement over the intercom that would put everyone into mixed reactions. What was this announcement you may ask? Well, the announcement declared that all students will now be obligated to leave their cell phones when exiting the classroom during class time. Many teachers were pleased with this new rule, considering how many students were seen skipping class to go on their phones recently. However, several kids expressed that they find the rule to be unfair towards those who do not take advantage of using their devices when not allowed. 

One of those students, junior Darlene Diaz said, “It sucks because what if I’m out of class and an emergency happens? I’ll have no way of contacting my parents.” Many others are worried for this reason as well, also claiming that they should have the right to carry their cell phones at all times. It was not too long ago where our school was in lockdown and students felt the need to want to reach out to their parents, so there is no surprise that kids are feeling this kind of nervousness. Remember students are expected to leave their cell phone in the classroom while using the restroom, however, they are still with students in the classroom. Also, there are campus supervisors available when students are outside of class. However, Diaz also said, “But even though I don’t like the rule, I find it nice to just use the bathroom without feeling the urge to check my phone.” Students still can have their cell phones in class available for an emergency, and can use their phone during passing periods and lunch. This policy applies to students out during class time, mostly using the restroom.

Many staff members have also already seen big differences since the new policy was made. Outside campus supervisor Mrs. Burton said, “I’ve noticed that kids want to be in classrooms more because they don’t want to leave their cellphones.” Many hallways have tended to be quieter during class time, with less students being outside except for those who have study halls or free periods. Perhaps this is due to the fact that students who were caught roaming the hallways on their phones no longer have a reason to leave class, or maybe because others don’t really think it’s worth it to leave their phone unattended. Either way, the new policy continues to be a controversial topic here on campus, but it has indeed stopped many students from ditching class.