• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Pride Club discussions

Lillian Blackwell
The Pride Club doing a creative activity for the day.

Many clubs around school grounds fit many different people for many reasons.  One of those clubs is the Pride Club, centering around the LGBT+, aimed towards creating a safe space for those at school.  Behind this club, books were found and talked about the feelings that people have in this club.

Junior Jenevieve Clark is the vice president of the Pride Club, who introduced two books: “Red: A Crayon’s Story,” by Micheal Hall, and “Looking Like Me,” by Walter Dean Myers.  The first book was made in 2015, while the second was made in 2009.  This was all held in Mrs. Letus’ class, who is also the advisor for the Pride Club.  The class number is 6-21 portable by the sixth building hallway.  The meeting on November 7 let others see how other communities celebrate LGBT+ and many of its related topics.  “It widens our perspectives and gives me hope that other schools are doing the same. It’s always so important to keep educating yourself on various topics as we do in Pride Club, but it’s so much more fun when you get to read a picture book about it,” Clark said.  These meetings take a lot of work and information is spread around by fellow club members, helping to spread the word.

Junior Lola Forbes-Black is the president of the Pride Club.  She explains the specific books that were involved during the club, and what they are about.  The books involved in the last club meeting were about inclusivity, and showing how some possible experiences inside of the books.  These books may also be found online or in the bookstore, along with free reads on YouTube for people, which were used during the presentation.  “We chose to talk about this topic because these books are being banned in other states. We want to prove that they are helpful and not indoctrinating. They tell stories of kids who are finding themselves and this can help children find their own identities.”  These meetings help students who want to find a safe space to discuss these topics on campus.