Social media: Harmful or helpful?

Sammy Enriquez
Some of the most popular social media apps used by teens.

Social media is used by 90% of teenagers so it is no surprise that for many of the students here, it is a part of their daily lives. It is an ongoing debate, especially by parents and adults, whether social media is harmful and should not be had by kids, or if it is helpful and has its pros.

Part of the downside with social media is that it can negatively impact one’s mental health. A study done by the Huffington Post found that 60% of people using social media say that it has negatively impacted their self esteem. Cyberbullying is also a large issue that comes with sharing your life on social media. This is most often because when people are behind a screen, they feel like they have more freedom to say whatever they want without having to face any serious consequences. This is a large issue that many students have had to deal with. 

However, social media can also be seen as something helpful, and something that people can benefit from. Social media makes connecting with people more accessible because you do not have to be face to face. Many have found themselves starting new friendships through social media and connecting on a deeper level through being able to chat online. Many students use social media as a way to connect with their classmates outside of class and use it to get to know them better. Social media can also help you stay up to date with news and events that are happening around the world. 

Students have many opinions about social media and its effects. Junior Hailey Byron said, “I think social media is more helpful because it allows you to make meaningful connections with countless amounts of people.” However, junior Savannah Landhan had a more neutral opinion. Landhan said, “I believe that social media can be used in both a helpful and a harmful way.”