• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

History of Red Ribbon Week

Lockers+with+red+ribbons+in+honor+of+Enrique+%28Kiki%29+Camarena.+
Jasmine Franco
Lockers with red ribbons in honor of Enrique (Kiki) Camarena.

Red Ribbon Week was celebrated October 23-28 on campus. Red Ribbon Week highlights and educates youth and adults the importance of living a drug-free life. Enrique (Kiki) Camarena was a Drug Enforcement Administration Agent who was murdered by drug traffickers in Mexico, 1985. In honor of Camarena’s death and his battle against illegal drugs, his friends and family began wearing red badges. Parents, tired of the destruction of drugs, started forming coalitions. They all took on Camarena’s belief that one person can make a difference in the world. This led them to adopt the symbol of Camarena’s memory, red ribbons. 

This week we honored Camarena and celebrated Red Ribbon week by signing the positivity poster on Monday, wearing crazy socks/donating socks to the Samaritan Center on Wednesday, and wearing red on Friday. Friday also included a PTSA photo booth and rock painting during lunch.

Today, millions of people celebrate and participate in Red Ribbon Week by participating in school or community anti-drug events. Ribbon Week is designed to bring awareness and share information to the general public about the dangers of using drugs, to help parents and students to deliver an effective drug prevention curriculum, and go beyond schools and other groups into the broader community.