Football recap

Senior+Aiden+Krause+about+to+sack+star+quarterback+Brady+Smigiel+during+the+Highlanders+military+game.+
Jon Krause
Senior Aiden Krause about to sack star quarterback Brady Smigiel during the Highlanders military game.

On Friday, October 27, the Highlanders varsity football team played their final game of the season away at Oak Park after missing the playoffs.

The fans were always there cheering on the team, even though their record was 0-10.  After the Highlanders first game, a video went viral of fans cheering when they were down 60-0 to Birmingham High School. This did not last just one game, it lasted the entire season. The team lost a lot of seniors last season which led to a very young and inexperienced group for second year head coach Mike Puopolo. However, the Highlanders were a very connected group. Every Thursday, there was a dinner served for everyone that ranged from In-N-Out Burger to tacos. Everyone would talk to each other laughing and having the best time. Through this bond, the team fought a lot of adversity, from injuries to a change at the quarterback position. Senior Mike Tapia said, “Even though we did not accomplish what we wanted as a team, we still continued to show up everyday.”

The year was very memorable for the Highlanders players. This main reason being Cooper Kupp, Rams star Wide Receiver, was there supporting the Highlanders throughout all their obstacles. Senior Jonah Krause said, “Kupp taught me that no matter how talented you are, hard work can get you anywhere in life.” Kupp had no offers coming out of high school and was never the fastest or strongest but he always was the hardest worker. He is now one of the best wide receivers in the National Football League. Kupp represents the football team this season perfectly. There was not a lot of talent on the team but no matter how bad they lost, the Highlanders never stopped working hard.