Government debates

Aiden Krause
Senior James Acheneach arguing on the pro side of the debate.

Seniors in government classes have debates every Friday on current controversial topics. Students get microphones and try to persuade the class that their side is the right side.

On Friday, October 20, students debated if college athletes should be getting paid or not. This was debate number six in the class. Seniors Jonah Krause, Kaden Bushell, and James Acheneach were on the pro side. Seniors Marisa Garde, Rosalynd Valenzuela, and Matthew Ramirez were on the con side. It began with each of them stating their own introductions, then they all shared their arguments with the class. After that, each side asked questions to the opposition based on their claims they made. This got very intense quickly. Acheneach said, “I loved how intense the arguments got and hearing everyone’s opinions.” Finally, it all got wrapped up with their conclusions and the class voting on who they think won the debate. 

Government teacher Michael Self said, “My favorite part of the debates is that students are leading the class. With this peer teaching structure, students are empowered to take ownership of their own learning.” The debates help prepare students for the real world, forcing the students to make decisions based on all the different facts they hear.