Districtwide College Fair

Lorenzo+Mars+representing+Pepperdine+University.+
Jasmine Franco
Lorenzo Mars representing Pepperdine University.

The Simi Valley Unified College Fair was held this year at Simi Valley High School in the evening on Wednesday, September 13. This has always been a huge event with many different colleges in attendance. Students, and even parents, were able to ask questions at each of the colleges in attendance.

Self-discovery, life improvement, and pursuing a passion are the top reasons for attending college. Many students may feel lost when trying to decide where they would like to continue their education. There are so many options to choose from and we cannot predict what will be the absolute best for us, we can only attempt to choose the one that fits our ideal standards. Every college has their own advantages that can help benefit you. Moorpark College, Pepperdine University, Iowa State University, and California Lutheran were some to the schools in attendance at the college fair this year. These schools, along with many others, are great options to continue your education, life improvement, and self-discovery. 

Moorpark College helps provide opportunity to everyone to continue your education by offering a thousand classes each semester. They embrace diversity, social justice, and equity on their campus. Moorpark College representative Jack Kirkpatrick, a 2022 graduate from Royal High School, said, “Moorpark College is a great option to start your career. We offer free tuition and self paced classes. At Moorpark college we have academic counseling, career transfer help, financial aid, and scholarship office to guide you.” Moorpark College wants to guide you in self-discovery, finding your passion, and pursuing your goals. 

Pepperdine University is a top-ranked graduate and undergraduate program which engages in the pursuit of knowledge at its highest level. It is a private Christian university with high academic standards and is committed to serving the needs of every student who attends. The acceptance rate is 30% with an 87% graduation rate. Pepperdine University representative Lorenzo Mars said, “The best part of attending Pepperdine is the location, people, and guidance. We are five minutes away from the beach and it is helpful due to our small classes. We have more one-on-one time with our professors.” Pepperdine is a great option if you are looking to be academically challenged or in a smaller class environment. 

Iowa State University is a small feel with a built in social and academic support network that makes your transition easier. Iowa State University representative Abby Welbon stated, “Iowa State University has a college town vibe. 88% of students who apply get accepted following with a 80-90% graduation rate. The reputation of this university is good and helps aid in your success.” They have many student support services around campus to help guide you throughout your college career. Iowa State University is a great option if you are looking for a reliable campus with many opportunities for self- improvement. 

Cal Lutheran Univerity (CLU) is a campus with small classes filled with open-minded students who grow as people everyday. CLU representative Aly Hernandez said, “Cal Lu is a very welcoming environment, both staff and students are very kind and welcoming. Due to smaller class sizes the students are able to receive extra help if they need it. It is a great location because you are able to gain internships all around us.” CLU is committed to helping every student pursue their passion and discover their purpose. This is a great option if you want a smaller environment, connection with professors, and a welcoming kind environment.

These are just a few of the many colleges that were in attendance at the annual SVUSD College Fair.