The diamond rivalry

Jonah Krause
Juniors Zachary Nagy, Cooper Orme, and Caden Sramek celebrating a victory against our hometown rivals.

On Friday, March 1, the Highlanders took on their cross town rivals the Simi Valley Pioneers at home. This matchup was be a key division game for the Highlanders to continue their hot streak.

Sophomore Dustin Dunnwoody took the mound for the Highlanders. The Highlander ace junior Caden Sramek said, “I thought that Dunnwoody competed and did his job well.” He started off great, not allowing a single run until the 5th inning. But the rivals answered by their own great pitching. They did not allow a run until the 4th inning. In this inning the Highlanders started getting hot. Sophomore Shortstop Noah Vasquez said, “We started getting people on base which really boosted our confidence and helped propel us on our hot streak.”  They got two players on base, leaving it up to sophomore Isiah Tillman to give the Highlanders the lead. Tillman answered with a big hit to bring in two runs for the highlanders. With great pitching throughout the game, the two big runs in the 4th inning ultimately led the Highlanders to a big win against their cross-town rivals, with a final score of 2-1.