Never giving up

Jon Krause
The Highlanders captions and the Charger’s captions face off at mid-field for the coin toss.

On Thursday, October 12, the varsity football team played their annual league game against the Agoura Chargers at home. 

The Highlanders put together their best complete game. It all came with the decision to bench junior Creichton Ae and replace him with junior Zach Nagy. Nagy said, “I felt like it was a big jump. I had to watch more film and took on more responsibilities. Overall, it made me feel more like a leader.” Instantly, the Highlanders offense clicked for the first time this season. Senior running back Johnny Sandwick got the Highlanders on the board to put them up early in the first quarter. The crowd erupted and all the coaches were screaming like we won the game. This is the first time all season the Highlanders have led in a game. This excitement did not last that long when the Chargers struck back quickly with a 20 yard pick six. The energy got sucked out of the stadium. The Chargers ended up scoring a few more times putting them in a commanding lead going into half time.

In the second half, senior Aiden Krause made his presence known. He racked up 11 tackles for the Highlanders and had two tackles for loss. “I just wanted to do anything I can to get my team a win.” But no one else responded for the Highlanders in the second half until the very end of the game. Junior Jace Oswald had a touchdown catch in the finals seconds of the game. But that ultimately did not matter much as the Highlanders lost 33-13. The Highlanders are 0-9 and are hoping for a win to end the season against a struggling Oak Park High School football team.