Rivalry Day

Cecilia Almada
Some of our friendly office staff and administrators wearing their rivalry gear.

What is Rival Day you may ask?

Rival Day was on Thursday, August 31, during the week when our two most popular high schools in Simi Valley come together for a football game. The students from Royal and Simi dressed up with one anothers school colors with the claim and suggest, “They wish they were our school.” As you look around campus, you saw a lot of suspenders, glasses and high socks as well as not green and gold but maroon and gold.

Walking around Royal you may have wondered how the Royal students got their Simi gear. Freshman Natalie Baker said, “My cousin used to come to Royal and she has had this lanyard from when she once too was a Royal student.” Another freshman Audrey Pulsipher said, “My grandpa was a Lacrosse teacher and teacher at Simi Valley High School.” Students were even wearing Simi Valley cheerleading outfits. How you may ask? Well, senior cheerleader Maya Eddings said, “My cousin graduated Simi a few years ago so she still had her old uniform.” As well as junior non-cheerleader, Kylie Landaker who said, “A friend from Simi Valley High School, she’s on the cheer squad.” 

Before the varsity game on Friday, September 1, two freshmen students, Jetta Rose and Kylie Hartung, both agreed and said, “Royal is gonna do their very best to fight till the end, the student sections will do the best to keep them going.” Were the staff members excited for this big game against Simi? “Yes. because its always fun and exciting rival game to go to on a Friday night,” said office staff members Rita Zepeda and Jennifer Meyer Barr.  Attendance clerk Maya Fernandez said, “Yes, because it’s a friendly family event.”

Our football players were also excited for the big games held at Simi Valley High School this year, with Freshmen and JV who played Thursday, August 31 and  varsity on Friday, September 1.  Some players commented regarding their excitement before their big rivalry games. Sophomore JV Football player Kenny Williams said, “Yes, We are gonna fight our very best tonight.” Senior varsity player Nicholas Martinez said, “Yes, because of the crowd and all the people and excitement such as my teammates.” Freshman football player Josh Salazar said, “Yes, because it’s an important game for us.”   

Students full rivalry week spirit. (Cecilia Almada)