Road to CIF

The Highlander student section shows strong support for our team, as sophomore Jaiden Alexander serves on game point to beat Oxnard High School in three sets.
Jasmine Franco

On Tuesday, August 22, girls volleyball put Oxnard High School to “sleep” by beating them in three straight sets. Highlanders wore pajama pants to the game to show support for the league champions. They used endless cheers, chants, and movements to show the energy and support they had for the varsity girls. The girls showed their competitiveness, skills, and energy beating them by, 11-25, 11-25, and 22-25.  

“We have made it to CIF every year but have not made it past the second round. This year the girls are really hungry for it, every single girl on this team is highly competitive and are ready to fight to take it all,” said head coach, Kristine Connolly. She has been the varsity volleyball coach for nine years and had made it to CIF playoffs every year other than 2020 due to COVID-19. The girls have fought and pushed every year, but have only made it to the second round of CIFs, this is the year they want to take it all. 

So far into this season the girls have five wins and three losses, with a sixty percent chance winning rate. Connolly said, “In order to prepare and win CIF we have to set goals; our overall goal is to win league, compete at the highest level of volleyball we can, and aim to win CIFs.” The girls have gotten closer to winning every year. To win this year the girls are taking every game seriously no matter who they are challenged by, playing to their fullest potential.