• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Is online college advantageous?

Mrs. Cuneos office where she assists many students to get into college.
Aiden Krause
Mrs. Cuneo’s office where she assists many students to get into college.

Seniors are about to be in college and should already be considering all their options before making an impactful decision in their life.

About 8.9 million students are exclusively enrolled in online school this year. One of the largest online schools, Liberty, has 37,570 students in online classes. Some of the best things in college are meeting life long friends and learning to live independently. Senior, Mark Martinez said, “I would not go to online school because I would have a lot of distractions at home. It is easier for me to focus in a classroom environment.” So why are millions of Americans choosing to go to online school?

Our college counselor Mrs. Laura Cuneo said, “Online college classes are flexible and convenient for most students, are often less expensive than in person classes, and sometimes allow students to learn at their own pace.” Cueno added some disadvantages, “Students have to really be able to manage their time well, work independently, and stay focused on their work when they take online classes.” A lot of students here already take online classes at Moorpark College to get college credits. Moorpark College is not a full online school, but they offer many online classes for students to take. This is true with many other colleges nationwide.

Both online school and in person school have their advantages and disadvantages. The best answer to the question is what is the most convenient for you.