• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Save the Music

Chase The Morning performing Island in the Sun by Weezer, two backup dancers swaying on the left and right of the drummer.
Emily Syed

The new auditorium on Saturday night was booming with bass vibrations and fun piano keys.   Music Matters, a live music fundraiser, was performed March 2, for a CSI Project whose goal was to donate money to the non-profit Save The Music. Save the Music Foundation’s mission is to “help students, schools, and communities reach their full potential through the power of making music” (savethemusic.org). 

The night started out at 6 p.m., with a garage band who called themselves Last Plea. They played multiple songs, a memorable one being Scientist by Coldplay. The pianist Natalie Zagnoli played so beautifully with the help of Jack Reid on Guitar. The audience was very supportive of the young musicians who definitely have a big future ahead of them. 

After a brief intermission, the main band of the night called Chase The Morning, took the show away. Junior Chris Garland, the drummer of this band had a constant big smile on his face and would even joke around with a wizard hat while playing.

Chase the Morning played many popular songs that the crowd really enjoyed and cheered for including, The Spirit of the Radio by RUSH and Time by Pink Floyd. Junior, Eliot Lorenzo, the singer of the band, did an amazing job of keeping the audience entertained between songs as well as introducing her bandmates at the beginning of their set.  

By the end of the night, the audience, including parents, students, and teachers were begging for an encore, which the band then followed up by playing Island in the Sun by Weezer. Junior Tucker Posser, Chase The Morning’s bassist said, “Originally, I started playing guitar when I was around 12 or 13 but we as a band needed a bassist instead of two guitarists so I took it as an opportunity to learn something new and interact with writing music in a new way. We created Chase the Morning to share our passion of music with one another with the added bonus of being able to share our art with others. My band and I started this CSI project because we have all had our lives positively impacted by music, and so we wanted to work to show people just how impactful, fun, and expressive music can be. It changed our lives so we hoped we could help change others”. 

Even the stage crew was working hard to make this performance perfect. Audience members were constantly pointing out how the lighting changed to the theme of each song. Junior Jamison Gallo said, “There was fantastic lighting. I was always watching the stage, bobbing my head to the songs both bands performed! It was a magical and defining moment, and I’m so glad I was there to experience it.”