Simi Valley Youth Council

Jonah Krause
Kristin Tignac gives a run down on what the Simi Valley Youth Council does in the beginning of the meeting.

The line to get into the Brown Bag Lunch was so long that they had to shut the door on multiple students trying to enter the building. On October 5 the Brown Bag lunch in the CSI room featured a special guest, Kristin Tignac, the Simi Valley Youth Council leader, and her three assistants. The Simi Valley Youth Council is an advisory board for the City Council on issues affecting youth in the community. Every high school and middle school in Simi Valley is represented on the Youth Council.

Tignac was the first person to speak and brought up what the Simi Valley Youth Council does in Simi Valley. Tignac said, “My usual day consists of going back and forth and doing events.” She then brought up all her future plans that she has with events in Simi Valley. One significant impact that the Simi Valley Youth Council made was when they decided to write suicide hotlines on the back of ID cards at schools. This later became a mandate in California. Later on in the meeting, her assistant junior David Chan said, “I like being a part of the Simi Valley Youth Council because I really enjoy planning out events and interacting with other people.” The Simi Valley Youth Council is very active in our city and has a big impact on our youth.