Model UN prepares for UCLA

President of the Model UN club junior Yousef Najem explaining position papers in room 6-13 (Mr. Self’s classroom).
Jakob Jarrin

On Tuesday, September 26, the Model United Nations club on campus held the first in a series of meetings to prepare for an event at UCLA. How the club works is that students go to an event and recreate what a meeting of the United Nations would look like. Each person is assigned a certain country and they have to argue that country’s policy positions. There are a lot of different ways the meetings can be different like in terms of difficulty or number of people. The location of the meetings vary a lot as well with some being regional, some taking place at  further away colleges and some are even international. In fact President of our model UN junior Yousef Najem said, “We have an international field trip to a country of the students’ choice next year, join for more information.”

At the Tuesday meeting Najem had a slideshow explaining position papers. These papers are a one page summary of the positions that a person’s assigned country holds. This was the main topic discussed and the meeting didn’t last that long. A couple other matters were discussed, mainly the schedule of the club for the near future, including the next meeting which was going to go into the basics of debate. The meetings that occur at Royal are all either preparations for events like UCLA or fundraisers for the Model UN. The club is a big commitment for its members but they seem to like the new challenge, specifically a freshman named Kersty Uva said, “new experience, learn stuff” were the reason why she joined. For anyone who wants to join the Model UN the Remind code is @royalhighm and the Instagram is @rhs_model_united_nation.