• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Honoring Our Troops

Jonah Krause
ROTC members standing around the middle of the field before the special military appreciation.

During the football game held on September 14, the Highlanders honored America and our troops with a lengthy ten minute appreciation before the game. ROTC lined up in uniform around the middle of the field and held up flags in support of these troops. These flags waved for ten minutes in the cold and cloudy night until a signal was called. 

The Highlander football players participated in this event as well. Senior Cyel Botones, who is on the football team and a part of ROTC said, “It was great for ROTC members because we got to talk to veterans with experience.” The football team walked out in orderly fashion having a flag held for each senior that is on the team. The football team had to stand straight just like they are in the military until senior Botones called for the players to walk back to the locker room in the same orderly fashion, just as when they walked onto the field.  Although some players thought that the military event was distracting to the players because it took place right before the game. Senior football player Aiden Krause said, “Standing there for ten minutes without moving before the game was really distracting.” But the military event overall was still great because we got to honor our soldiers and troops of America.