• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Wi-Fi Outages

Aiden Krause
Some students had to do their class assignments on paper when the Wi-Fi was no longer working.

Over 2,000 students at school lost their Wi-Fi connection at some point in the day on September 22 and 26.

When the Wi-Fi went out it forced teachers to have to adjust their scheduled assignments for the day. Megan Favreau, English teacher said, “When the Wi-Fi does not work, it makes it difficult to execute lessons and push assignments out to my students, since we do almost everything in class digitally. Unknown outages throw off the pacing, and I end up having to play catch up with half of my classes.” 

Teachers have their own approach on the way they do things. Senior Jonah Krause said, “When the Wi-Fi went out, we all used our phones as hotspots so we could connect our computers to it. This way our class ran normally.” Not everyone has unlimited data so using hotspots like what Krause was able to use, can end up costing your parents more money. Junior Benjamin Kirk said, “The Wi-Fi outages have not really affected my learning. I have been doing my assignments on paper during the wifi outages.”

We live in a world where everything is done online from shopping, social media, and many other things. Without Wi-Fi, we can not connect online to do these critical things. High schools now can barely function without Wi-Fi. Teachers need it to grade assignments, share presentations, attendance, and so on.