Dancing at the Winter Formal

Mosh pit in action.
Cecilia Almada
Mosh pit in action.

On Saturday, February 3, the winter formal dance took place at the Ventura Majestic Theater, The students all got ready and dressed in their formal wear, the dance began at 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The theme was “Black and White.” Assistant Principal Patti Myszkowski said, “Joy Oh, president of the sophomore class council, chose the theme with the sophomore class council. We’ve been using this location for many years. Its great venue holds many students.”

The  students were asked where they got their dresses and tuxedos for this formal event, and sophomore Morgan Will said, “Windsor because I couldn’t find another dress that looked good.” Junior Resse Barnard said, “I got my dress from Lucy and the Sky because dresses are popular.” Senior Madeline Sabbe said, “I got my dress from Windsor because it was last minute event.” Senior Ariana Vasquez said, “I got my dress from Macys because I like their dresses.” Senior GiAnne Banuelos said, “Fashion Nova because it’s cute and I tend to look for dresses there more than other shops.”

Now on to the boys, who looked sharp in their formal suits. So where did the guys go shopping? Freshman Riley Behar said, “This tuxedo place at Thousand Oaks Mall.” Senior Drew Stephan said, “My closet because I had nothing else in it.” Junior Nate Garza said, “Kohls and Macys because its cheaper.” Senior Gavin Wright said, “Macys because I was at the Thousand Oaks Mall.”

Many people know winter formal as a bring a date type of dance, but did the students live up to that expectation? Sophomore Ella Copeland said, “I came with a date because I came with my boyfriend, he is homeschooled so he came with me.” Senior Carleigh Owen said, “Yes, because he’s my boyfriend and he goes to Royal so we decided to come.” Freshmen Sammie Serrano said, “I came with Riley Bejar my best friend. It was nice, we had a good time.” Senior Trenton Shelton said, “I came with a date because I wanted to ask her.”

Last year the winter formal also took place in Ventura at the Ventura Majestic Theater. What did the students think about the location?  Junior Ariana Persky said, “I think it’s a pretty good location just for, the music is mid.” Senior Lilliana Coleman said, “I have no problem with it, the location is great I think it should be somewhere else next year though.” Junior Addison Burton said, “The location is alright, I like Ventura.” At the end of the night most of the many of the students were asked what the thought about this years winter formal, and almost every student confessed how much fun it was and how much they wished the night wouldn’t end. However, quite a few did complain about how cold it was due to the beach right next to the theater. What a night to remember!

Sophomore Caitlyn Schrader and her date sophomore Parker Martins at the Ventura Majestic Theater.
(Cecilia Almada)