• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

Day Of The Dead

Lenny De Jesus Reyes
This is an Ofrenda which is an alter used to honor those we’ve lost.

On the day after Halloween from Nov 1- Nov 2 the Day of the Dead is celebrated. It is a day where we celebrate our loved ones who have passed away to remember them and what they did. In houses that celebrate this holiday they put out a table with everything that the relative liked along with a picture of that person. Usually there is a good amount of stuff on there such as: their favorite food, favorite drink, favorite dessert, and sometimes even something that they liked to do such as a sport.

Along with their favorite things there is a specific yellow flower called “Marigolds.” It is supposedly said to attract our relatives and the flowers color helps us celebrate life instead of having a negative emotion towards death. “We always put up a table for the Day of the Dead,” said junior Andrew Mendoza.  There are many celebrations too, some people like to dress up and use makeup, especially a skull. Many people in areas where there are parades go out with their families and friends to celebrate this day. People mostly in Hispanic parts celebrate this tradition. I’ve been celebrating this holiday ever since I was 7 years old,” said sophomore Riky Fuentes.