Southeast and East Asian cultural club

Jakob Jarrin
From left to right: Club President Bailey Chang, Secretary Karen Truong and Treasurer Nikki Nguyen, after the first meeting.

On Monday, September 11, the Southeast and East Asian Cultural Club held its introductory meeting in room 7-14 (Mr. Jia’s classroom). This meeting was to tell people about what the club had to offer and how it would work throughout the school year. The club promised to teach people about a new East/Southeast country’s culture every month. Additionally the students running the club also said that people participating will have a chance to try new snacks and food from each country the club teaches about. It was announced that the first country students will be learning about is Japan. A few facts about Japan were talked about and Japanese cookies were given to students in attendance. At the end of the meeting all of the students in the club introduced themselves and what their roles are in the club.

“I wanted to be in touch with my culture,” said president of the club Bailey Chang as one of the reasons why she started the club. Secretary of the club Karen Truong said the reason why she assumed her role was, “I just want to share Southeast and East Asian culture to bring appreciation and acceptance to our cultures.” If students want to know when they can attend meetings they can join the Remind class (@rhsseacc).