• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal

This year’s first Brown Bag Lunch

Jakob Jarrin
Megan Gately, from the Ronald Reagan Library, presenting in the CSI room.

On Tuesday, August 29, Megan Gately, a speaker from the Ronald Reagan Library delivered the first Brown Bag Lunch presentation in the CSI room. The Brown Bag Lunches are a series of presentations put on by the Ronald Reagan Library Citizen Scholar Institute about various topics. Most social studies teachers require their students to attend at least two presentations and do a certain assignment or project relating to it. “The most important thing for students to learn is about civic engagement,” said government/economics teacher Mr. Michael Self when asked about what students learn from the Brown Bag Lunches.

Gately made her presentation about leadership and how it related to the story of President Ronald Reagan. In the beginning of the presentation she talked about how students at our school can be good leaders and asked students in the audience about examples of leadership they were familiar with. The second half of the presentation was a video talking about President Reagan’s early life and rise to power. Teachers and students alike seemed to enjoy Gately’s presentation. Mackenzie Lusk, a junior who had attended for her AP government and IB history class said, “I thought it was cool that they told you how to be a leader.”