The Super Bowl matchup

Jonah Krause
The game of football dates back to 1869 between Rutgers and Princeton.

The San Francisco 49ers and the Kansas City Chiefs will face off for the LVIII Super Bowl on Sunday, February 11. This year the Super Bowl will take place in Las Vegas, with R&B legend Usher performing for the half time show.

The 49ers took on the Lions in the NFC championship. Early on, the Lions got into a favorable start taking a 24-7 lead at halftime. A campus supervisor Christine Wiemero said, “I really wanted the Lions to win because they haven’t been to the Super Bowl before and I want a different team in the Super Bowl.” This lead did not last long when the 49ers came out of halftime with a lot more energy than the Lions. They instantly cut into the lead with a field goal to start the second half. After that, the Lions had multiple mistakes on offense which propelled the 49ers to advance to their 6th ever Super Bowl. 

The Chiefs faced the Ravens in the AFC championship. To start the game, the Ravens got off to a hot start scoring to take an early lead. Quickly, the Chiefs responded and it looked like Patrick Mahomes was taking over the game. With the Chiefs defense not allowing a single point after the touchdown drive this allowed Kansas City to advance to their fourth Super Bowl in five years.  Sophomore Michael Fajardo said, “I know the Chiefs will win this game.”