The Royal Cafe

Abigail Whetzel, Plaid Truth Staff

Royal’s newly renovated cafe has recently opened back up to students. The Royal Cafe has become very popular among the students and staff on campus. The Royal Cafe is managed by Royal’s culinary and Foods Services and Hospitality teacher, Mrs. Carrie Smith, and some of her advanced culinary students.

The Royal Cafe is open on Wednesdays and Fridays from 7:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. for now. It is only available these days for now because of her 2nd and 4th period Honors class that internship at the cafe. Tropical and strawberry smoothies and pumpkin spice drinks have recently been added to the menu.

Smith said, “The students learn about all aspects of business such as marketing, management, cost analysis, inventory and customer service. They design the menu as well.”

One of their most popular drinks among students is their frozen hot chocolate, which is worth trying. New drinks such as frozen lemonade and frozen creamsicle drinks will soon be out as well. Snacks like bagels, muffins, Nutrigrain bars, hard-boiled eggs, and yogurt can also be found in the cafe.

If you are interested in cooking, you can begin in Foods and Nutrition and work your way up to interning in the Royal Cafe. Getting experience with working in the cafe can help with barista skills and future job opportunities.

Smith also said, “We are waiting for approval but hope to go to the Cook Around the World Culinary competition in Orlando, Florida.” The experience offered is also something that Royal offers to its students. The competition, held at Walt Disney World Resort, allows participants to hear from top colleges and career options in the culinary and hospitality field. Culinary students compete with other students around the globe, meet with top chefs, and even attend the theme parks. It is a fun and unique experience for students interested in any Foods and Hospitality and Foods and Nutrition pathways.