Golf’s bumpy ride comes in for a landing

Owen Buckholtz

Tanner Petty, Jack Parkinson, Kyle Sweeting, Jack Mols, Grant Tomlinson, and Nathan Schulz departing school to head to Tierra Rejada Golf Club to play the second round of league playoffs.

Owen Buckholtz, Reporter

Following a tough loss to Simi on Tuesday, April 12, at Simi Hills (446-389), “We must improve overall as a team,” said head coach Greg Minick. Sophomore Jack Mols explained what happened on hole 16, “There was a strong headwind and my ball went into the water.” Hole 16 is a par three that is about 190 yards with water to hit over. “I went into the water too,” added senior Grant Tomlinson. But the boys struck back against Valencia at Sterling Hills Golf Club with Jack Mols shooting a career 78 while the team shot a 428 all together while Valencia carded a 448.

But the game that determined the golf team’s playoff hopes was against Camarillo. Royal then jeopardized their playoff hopes after a rough performance against Camarillo at Los Posas Country Club after shooting a 457 as a team while Camarillo shot 439 as a team. “We have to dial in our shots going into the green,” said Minick as he addressed the team. “This course was a little tough to play,” said Mols.

After this match, there was the second round of league playoffs on Thursday, April 28, at Tierra Rejada Golf Club. After the second round of league playoffs, the boys found themselves in the brush as they only have a one-stroke lead over Moorpark and Camarillo.

“We had a big opportunity to extend our lead but we blew it,” Minick said. Even though senior Tanner Petty shot an 87 on a tough course, he believes that things could have been better. “Obviously playing on a course with lots of elevation changes can mess with your game quite a bit,” said Tomlinson after the round. “We need to do better on May 4th at Tierra Rejada Golf Club,” Minick said.

The team then got eliminated from CIF when Camarillo and Moorpark got the best of them at Soule Park Golf Course when Camarillo barely edged out our golf team by one stroke. “It sucks that the season is over,” said Mols and junior Nathan Schulz. Senior Kyle Sweeting got to advance to CIF individual playoffs where the first round was at Los Robles Greens and then shot a 78. Even though Kyle played an amazing round, it still wasn’t enough to advance to the second round as the qualifier round.