Flashing finishes

Sophomore+Samuel+Bado+finishes+in+a+flashy+style+after+winning+his+heat+race+at+Thousand+Oaks+Invitational.+

Sophomore Samuel Bado finishes in a flashy style after winning his heat race at Thousand Oaks Invitational.

Denilson Gonzalez Flores, Reporter

The distance group started the first race of the 2022 track & field season at Westlake Distance Carnival where every athlete hit a personal best. The other side of the distance group went to the fastest distance meet of the country, the Sundown Track Series meet. In the first two meets of the season, the distance group took all the top three fastest spots in the league. The sprinting squad gave a massive effort at the Thousand Oaks Invitational, but more promising was both boys and girls frosh/soph teams for giving an impressive performance at their first-ever meet.

The boys’ varsity distance medley relay took the only first spot at the Thousand Oaks Invitational with a qualifying time to Arcadia, the biggest and most prestigious meet of track and field in the country. Track and field head coach Tony Valadez said, “Everyone gave a huge effort, especially because we went against the top tier schools in the state.”

The next competition was a classic in the southern section of track and field where it’s held at Moorpark, called the Don Green Memorial invitational. The two-day meet was set for the distance to go first where senior Roberto Alvarez, took third place overall in the 1,600 meter. While in the 3,200 meter, junior Jonah Bazerkanian, finished third overall and Noah De la Rionda took fifth overall running against the top runners of the southern section.

Day two was for the sprinting events where junior Evan Fields and senior Cezhon Gayton, our top sprinters, hit their personal best at the 100 meters. Junior Jennyfer Hernandez, one of the girls’ top sprinters, also hit a lifetime best in both 100 and 200-meter dash. In the four-by-one, both varsity teams got tenth overall, girls frosh/soph finished eighth overall, and boys frosh/soph finished thirteenth overall. In the invitational girls 800 meter race senior Jante Gonzalez, finished third overall running against the two fastest girls in the southern section.

In the field events, senior Dustin Ritcheson got eighth overall in the triple jump and senior Delaney Schultze got first place in the high jump. In an exciting season for senior Wagner Gonzalez, who did cross country, middle distance, and is now switching to field events, said, “I am really enjoying the season so far and now I’m looking forward to a new transition to field events, we are all just having fun.” In a big improvement from the middle distance group, middle distance and distance coach, Peter Mogg said, “It’s really exciting to see how all the middle distance kids have grown to be super good where we now fight for a four by four team and it just brings excitement to the team.”