Race to ascendancy

Denilson Gonzalez- Flores, Plaid Truth Staff

Improving stride by stride, the boys cross country team finishes twenty overall at the Clovis invitational and the girls finishing eighteen overall with the team running alongside the fastest runners in the nation. The legendary Mt. Sac invitational intimidates its victims but the junior Jonah Bazerkanian made Mt. Sac the victim by finishing fifth in his race resulting in the team taking twelfth overall.
On the girl’s side, sophomore Leanna Olivas took first for the girl’s varsity team and finished in twenty-fifth in the race making the team end fourteenth overall.
After a painful hilly race, the team headed to Ventura County Championships at Lake Casitas, Ventura. It seemed like an unfortunate situation for the team, losing Bezerkinan and the junior, Noah De la Reonda, the top two runners in the varsity team, due to injuries. Senior Cole Ponce and junior Asher Frizzel led the team this time. Finishing alongside each other, the varsity team took third and the girl’s varsity team took fifth. In an excellent effort, the boy’s junior varsity took second in the championship with junior Ryan Dalzell, and senior Timothy Villafana leading the JV team. The boy’s sophomores went home with third place with Zach Fuchs finished eighth in the race showing a bright future for the team and wrapping up Ventura Championships. As things went great for the team, it was time for them to execute league finals as the boy’s varsity team stayed undefeated and the girl’s varsity team and the boys JV team fought for second place.
This time the girls had a remarkable moment as cross country coach Luce said, “The girls are finally placing” and they did not disappoint because after 12 years the girls finally made it to CIF prelims! This was after getting second place at the Coastal Canyon League Finals. Things kept getting exciting as the boy’s JV team also took down second place at League Finals and the Varsity team do what they do best, running and winning as they take first place leaving the school’s biggest rival, Simi High School in the dust.
As the boys head to CIF and expect CIF finals, Bazerkanian said, “The team has confidence and we trust the coaches” as they head to CIF prelims. This is very remarkable as he leads the team taking the words seriously from returning cross country and middle distance track coach, Peter Mogg who said, “It’s important to keep friendships in the team as it prepares you to fight in tight situations, especially when you need your best when it’s needed the most.” It’s very sentimental to see both coaches and the team having trust with each other as both have reached the final stages of cross country, CIF.