• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @royal3news @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @Royal_PTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

Vaulting into the new season

Alex E., Opinion Editor

Track & Field season begins soon, and the whole team is excitedly training for the 2018 season. There are many exciting and fun events to watch and participate in. There is the Pole Vault, an event where competitors vault over a high bar with the end of an extremely long flexible pole. Also, there is Long Jump where competitors jump as far as possible in one leap. Another event is Shot Put, where competitors throw a very heavy round ball as far as possible. Discus Throw is where an athlete throws a heavy Frisbee in an attempt to mark a farther distance than their competitors. In addition to those field events, there are many different running events, from 200m to 3200m.

As the season draws closer, many athletes have been going to All Comers Meets to prepare for the new season. The team is around 100 people, which is much bigger than the last few years. Freshman J. Kator said, “I really enjoy being a part of the Track team, and my running skills are improving each practice.” Sophomore K. LeVine said, “I run to break my limits and my doubts, and become the best I can be.” The track season begins in February 2018, and our team is ready to win!