American education system needs change

Kamryn Daub

Junior Emmerson Orme grows tired after hours of studying.

Kamryn Daub, Plaid Truth Staff

The American Education System is putting immense pressure on students to get good grades, and while they have other problems to deal with, school is proven to be the biggest stressor for high schoolers.

The education system in America has many benefits, but teachers and students agree that the system also has its flaws, and it needs to be improved.

After high school, most students go to college to get a degree, but over the years the cost of college tuition and textbooks has risen. This puts students who come from low income households at a disadvantage. 

Some families may not be financially able to send their children to a four year university after high school,” history teacher Kevin Habroun said. “And many students might be discouraged from attending college after high school because of that.”

Another problem is the needs of schools and its population not being recognized as much as it should. “We appear to be trying to educate in a ‘one-size fits all’ fashion,” said Sinaloa Middle School history teacher Sarah Gerfen. Since the education system is national and not local, the system works for some counties better than others. If it were to be local, it could be adapted to fit its population better. 

“We have an expected structure and standard of education for students – but not all our students are standard,” Gerfen said.

As mentioned before, students have other stresses to deal with outside of school. Broken homes and relationships are a few, but there is also the issue of mental health. A lot of students today face challenges that are related to mental health, and there isn’t enough support for them. 

“There should be more mental health resources on campuses,” sophomore Ashlyn Holland said. If there were to be those types of resources on campuses for students, they could carry a little less on their back and be more successful.

With school comes homework, and almost every student complains about how much homework they’re given. “They could lower stress by assigning less homework so students get better sleep,” junior Michael Cano said.  On an average day, a student is expected to go to school, do homework, complete their chores, eat three meals, socialize with friends and family, and still have downtime. The heavy load causes the average teen to get seven hours of sleep, when they need nine.

The American education system has produced many successful people, but some are left behind. It’s time to change the system and help those people.