Holiday musical memories

Alex Edgar, Editor in Chief

Every year in the middle of November, malls across America, people’s houses and businesses, and their music playlists begin to show the Christmas spirit. The holiday season is many people’s favorite time of the year because it brings back memories of their childhood, snowy days, festivities, and the magic of spending the holidays with family and friends. Often the most fun part of the holiday season is Christmas music that is unavoidable everywhere you go. When it comes to Christmas music, not everyone can agree on which song is the best to get you in the mood for the holidays, which is why we asked Royal students which song is their favorite and why.
Although there wasn’t a unanimous favorite, by far the most universally loved Christmas song of those who responded was Last Christmas by Wham! This Christmas classic is the second most streamed Christmas song on Spotify, despite it being about a break up during Christmas time. Senior Kabir Jain said, “Last Christmas is my favorite because I just love the tune!” Meanwhile, senior Abigail Raven said it was her favorite because she “was shown the music video and really liked it.” Senior Isabella Jones said, “Last Christmas is my favorite because it gives me nostalgia of my childhood because my mom always played it when I was younger.”
Another extremely popular Christmas song that impossible to get out of your head at this time of year is All I Want For Christmas Is You by Mariah Carey. This song alone made her an estimated $500,000 during the holiday season last year and is the most streamed holiday song on Spotify. Junior Ashley Joban said, “All I Want For Christmas Is You is my favorite because it gives me such good holiday vibes.” Other holiday favorites include Mistletoe by Justin Bieber, I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas by Gayla Peevy, Feliz Navidad by José Feliciano, and Santa Tell Me by Ariana Grande. Each year more and more artists record their own versions of holiday classics as well as create new songs for all to enjoy. The holiday season is the most magical time of the year.