Bad drivers

Natalie P., Advertising Editor

Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of fatal accidental deaths among teenagers. Every time we drive poorly, we are choosing to believe that nothing bad will happen, but eventually, something will.  Life is too short to put ourselves and others at risk.
“Honestly it’s dangerous for students to be driving around so recklessly,” said freshman Malia T.  It is hard at times to separate our excitement from our driving. It may be fun to mess around in the car with friends after school. However, that excitement will only last a minute and it is not worth the consequences! Teenagers are so new to driving, we cannot afford the risk of distractions. 15% of crashes among the ages of 16 – 19 are caused from interacting with other passengers, 12%  is caused by cell phones, and another 10% from being distracted by something in the vehicle. Over 54% percent of teenagers admit to regularly using cell phones while driving. It is a common problem that is causing too many people to get hurt, but there is an easy solution…stop getting distracted. EASIER SAID THAN DONE!
Humans cannot help but get distracted, however, we can reduce the number of people getting hurt by consciously choosing to not get distracted by things we have control over. For example, when your phone vibrates from the passenger seat, as hard as it may be, you cannot pick it up. A text message is not worth a car accident, your life, and lives of others. By pulling over and then reading the message you are saving lives. “I see so many driving rules being broken, sometimes intentionally and other times people are just not educated on how to drive safely,” said freshman Madalena V.
An example of a common law that is typically skipped over before and after school is that pedestrians must make it to the other side of the crosswalk before driving through.
Another law is which sides of the street that cars exit and enter the parking lots. There are so many rules when driving, it can be hard to keep track of them all. Each of them are equally important and deserve as much attention and awareness as any other. It may be hard to avoid the temptation being “silly” with your friends in the car, especially after school.  Often students drive quickly to get a reaction out of their friends, pretend they are going crash into their friend, pedestrians join in to. Students run and jump in front of their friends cars or try to distract them from the outside.
Accidents will always happen, but by choosing to not get involved in or distracted by things we have control over, lives will be saved!