Creating masterpieces at home or in school

Kylee Rogers

Senior Lauren Rodriguez concentrating on drawing flowers in a room scene while listening to music.

Kylee Rogers, Plaid Truth Staff

In a class setting, art classes had access to printmaking equipment and pottery wheels. There was more space to create art with a bigger canvas. As the classroom setting was more social, students were able to help each other. The element of the community plays a part in participating and inspiring other student’s work, especially in terms of creativity.

In an online setting, students are going to focus on their skills. They have materials that were provided by the school for projects in class. They may also use supplies from their own home that apply to the assignment. Online has allowed teachers to use online galleries, nearpod lessons, chrome canvas, and other art resources.

“The participation of our art students has been phenomenal,” said Amy Petrocelli, an art teacher. “I think that students are hungry to use their hands and to work with real materials.”

Teachers have to account for anyone’s situation when giving assignments. For example, painting and the use of pottery is incompatible with the online style of learning. 

“Online art is difficult in that I haven’t gotten very much feedback on my work, considering my teacher can’t walk around a classroom and view my work as she passes by,” said senior Alexia Armstrong.  “Additionally, there is more independent work than if the class were in person.” 

Art is an elective that students can take to relieve stress and try to balance out the amount of core academic classes and more relaxed, creative classes in their school day.