• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @royalhighPTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

Music in Manhattan

Back to Article
Back to Article

Music in Manhattan

Lauren K., Editor in Chief

This semester has been a very exciting one for the Royal vocal music department. On March 22, over 40 members of Vocal Ensemble, Vocal Jazz, Advanced Women’s Ensemble, and Voice Male flew to New York City to perform in the world famous Carnegie Hall.

The Harmonic Convergence Concert at Carnegie Hall took place on March 23 at 8 p.m. and featured over 850 performers from all over North America. The Royal choir performed three songs in the Vivace Choir, and Advanced Women’s performed a solo entitled “The Word Was God.” At the end of the concert, all students from the 22 different choirs gathered to perform the world premiere of “The Silent Road” by Paul Mealor. Choir director, Mrs. Graeve said, “I couldn’t be more proud of my singers- they were exceptional in every way. They definitely rocked the Big Apple. I’m very blessed.”

Carnegie Hall was not the only success Royal’s choir saw on the New York trip. Advanced Women’s also performed in a festival the following day and received a near-perfect score. Besides earning a superior in the festival, they were also the top-scoring group that weekend. The rest of the trip included visiting memorials, touring the city, and even a dinner cruise in the New York Harbor.

The choir returned on March 26 and immediately got to work on their Finale performance. This year’s theme is “Stage and Screen” and will feature songs from a variety of movies and musicals. Finale will take place in the MPR at 7 p.m. on May 23, 24, and 25. This year’s Finale is especially significant because this is Mrs. Graeve’s last year directing choir after more than 20 years of teaching students the joy of singing. Freshman N. Keller said, “I feel so lucky to have had Mrs. Graeve her last year here.” Although this is Mrs. Graeve’s last year, the incredible work she has done will continue to touch the lives of the students and staff at Royal High School. Thank you Mrs. Graeve, and congratulations to choir for another successful year.