• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @royal3news @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @Royal_PTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

129th Rose Parade

Eileen K., News Editor

“I think it’s a great tradition that wastes flowers,” sophomore M. Elhai said, referring to the 129th Rose Parade which took place in Pasadena, California on January 1, 2018. The Rose Parade, also known as the Tournament of Roses, was part of a celebration to start the new year. On New Year’s Day, the Rose Parade presented by Honda had started at 8 in the morning and had lasted around two hours. The decorated floats, marching bands, and equestrian groups in the parade had traveled along a 5.5 mile route through Pasadena. The theme for the 2018 Rose Parade was “Making a Difference.” After the parade, the Rose Bowl Game was held in the Rose Bowl Stadium where Oklahoma and Georgia competed against each other in the College Football Semifinal.

The Rose Parade has been held every year on New Year’s Day since 1890. However, if the New Year’s Day is on a Sunday, then the celebration would be moved to January 2nd because of the “Never on Sunday” tradition. The floats in the parade usually have to follow a theme and the rule that the surfaces of the floats have to be covered in flowers and other natural materials. The floats were decorated by the staff and many volunteers. Some of our school’s Key Club members volunteered to help decorate. There were also equestrian units composed of many riders and horses, and there were many marching bands playing music. “I loved the music,” said freshman M. Russel. Some people watched the parade on TV while some went to Pasadena to watch it. “It was really cool to be up close and to see all the flowers and the details that went into the floats,” said sophomore E. Gillen. “I could appreciate all the time and effort that went into making the floats.”