• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @royal3news @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @Royal_PTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

ROTC Unit Evaluation

Meghann Q., Reporter

“Passed With Flying Colors” were the words used by AFJROTC Regional Director, Colonel (ret) Pete G. as he briefed our Principal, Mr. Keith Derrick., on the status of Royal’s Air Force JROTC program. On Monday, 20 March at 0600, Cadet Lt Col Dustin B. and his leadership team were prepared to welcome Col. Gray for its first official Air Force Unit Evaluation. Col. Gray, one of only six Regional Directors who evaluate nearly 2,000 instructors and 875 schools, is based out of Maxwell Air Force Base,  Alabama, under the guise of Air Education and Training Command.

For six grueling hours, numerous members of the corps were inspected on the management of their respective programs. The cadets were evaluated in areas such as Cadet Operations, Unit Management, Equipment Management, Co-Curricular Programs, and Instructor Performance. Col. Gray referred to the cadets as “amazing” and continually stated how impressed he was with their professionalism as he encountered corps members throughout the day. These cadets worked vigorously to prepare and practice for the biggest day of the year. Staying late, coming early and practicing at lunch, everyone involved put their best foot forward and executed the evaluation with perfectionism.

In Col. Gray’s out brief with Mr. Derrick, he stated the majority of the corps’ programs “Exceeded Standards” and that the support they received as well as facilities were “outstanding”. A heartfelt congratulations to Cadets Lt Col Dustin B. (Group Commander), Lt Col Skylar R., Cadet Majors Meghann Q. (Commander, Mission Support Squadron), Niko V. (Commander, Operations Squadron) and Cadet Lt Andrew C. (Superintendent, Logistics) for their leadership of this first major milestone.

Col. Hustedt, Senior Aerospace Science Instructor, stated, “I am incredibly proud of the countless hours the entire team put into preparation for this evaluation. The entire team rallied to show the inspector what I see every day: professional men and women with impeccable character ready to serve in any capacity.”

This Unit Evaluation was a stepping stone in ROTC’s growth that shot them forward to an ever improving corps in the future.