• Follow School Twitters! @theRoyalHS @AthleticsRoyal @highlanderYB @royal3news @rhsvocalmusic @royalhsband @Royal_PTSA @Act4Royal @AthleticsRoyal

Gold Ribbon Award

Stephanie R., Reporter

Before CAASPP testing was implemented, California public schools were named California Distinguished Schools based off of Standardized Testing and Reporting scores. However, with the change in programs, schools now must show that a certain percentage of their students exceeded the state average in ELA and Math Smarter Balanced tests to receive the new Gold Ribbon Award.

On May 15, at the Sheraton Gateway in Los Angeles, Royal will receive the award for our incredible educational programs. Out of 3,000 public middle and high schools, only 275 in the state were chosen of 477 eligible applicants. This is the third time Royal has received this award, prior years being 1999 and 2005. The school also had to submit a project, which involved providing equal opportunity for all students to take Advanced Placement classes.

Principal, Mr. Keith D. said, “Royal is honored to be a California Gold Ribbon School. We were one of four high schools in Ventura County to receive the award. It’s a validation of all the hard work our students, teachers, administrators, and staff are doing on a daily basis.”

Senior Ashley D. said, “It’s super cool that the school got this award. I always hear of kids choosing Oak Park over Royal because they think it’s a better school, but this proves everyone wrong.”

Royal is truly the place that every school should strive to be!