Getting rid of “maskne”

These+four+items+%28face+wash%2C+moisturizer%2C+mud+mask%2C+and+cloth+face+covering%2Fmask%29+are+related+to+the+maskne+issue.+

Daniella Bock

These four items (face wash, moisturizer, mud mask, and cloth face covering/mask) are related to the maskne issue.

Daniella Bock, Plaid Truth Staff

Ever heard of “maskne?” During the current times, COVID-19 has forced almost everyone to wear a face covering, simply to protect themselves and others from contracting the virus. Now, “maskne,” a play-on-words term for mask-acne has become a problem because of the situation. These flare-ups are likely caused by breathing and talking which require one to let out warm air. Everyone has bacteria in their mouth. When this air forms, yeast, and germs have the perfect opportunity to collect on the skin on the face. Friction from the mask is another contributing factor to the acne issue. With both of these things, maskne has arisen, but here is a brief list of steps that can be taken to remedy it: Washing of the face, application of acne cream, and moisturization. 

One must consistently wash their face (every morning and night before bed) to see results. Depending on a person’s skin, they may choose to use a more gentle cleanser such as the Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser, or if something stronger is needed (usually if the condition is more severe), they’d use a salicylic acid wash (e.g. Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash). Next, acne cream should be applied. At the store, Clearasil sells this type of product, but this is just one brand out of the available ones. Finally, to keep the epidermis moisturized, the right moisturizer should be selected. It’s a good idea to stay away from products that contain oil, especially if the individual has an oily complexion. Greasy moisturizers can cause the skin to sweat at a faster rate.

Finding the right items based on the individual’s needs is the key. A person who is experiencing more acne has more of a reason to use a product that contains a salicylic acid in it than someone whose face is relatively clear. “Over the years I’ve had to use different products but I use different products for different reasons,” freshman Tatum Taylor said. Another thing to note is that not everyone will experience maskne from wearing a mask.  Senior Eric Talbert said, “I have not noticed any changes in my skin as a result of wearing a face mask; granted I have never experienced any type of acne on my face before,” which proves everybody is different dermatologically speaking and has different complications and conditions. But, the above steps should be taken by those who are suffering from maskne to improve the issue and hopefully establish a solution.