Returning to school

Celeste Paez

Student getting temperature check before entering.

Celeste Paez, Plaid Truth Staff

In these difficult times all of our lives have changed drastically in multiple different aspects. One of the biggest challenges the youth of today face is determining whether or not going back to school is safe. Students have to be mindful and considerate especially because COVID-19 poses a larger threat to the elderly. Consequently this virus can potentially endanger students themselves and cause detrimental effects on those with pre-existing health conditions.

While less teenagers and children have been infected with COVID-19 compared to adults, adolescents may have mild symptoms or be asymptomatic. The chances for children to be put on a ventilator and hospitalized are low but still possible. Some young people think they are invincible to coronavirus because of the low mortality rate among young people. What many forget to realize is that they can still infect others in their family and those people may be more vulnerable.

“The infection rates throughout the county have improved a lot so the risks are lower and also people are now getting vaccinated so less people are severely infected,” said Chief of Infectious Disease Control Dr. Jonathan Trong. Due to Ventura County’s decreasing coronavirus cases, schools in Ventura County are now able to reopen safely. Some parents are concerned about how CDC guidelines will be enforced by schools which is causing hesitation in having their children return back to school.

“At Royal we’ve done quite a bit to ensure students’ safety; for teachers, we were required to go through various training protocols for returning to campus,” said AP world history teacher Kevin Habroun, “Desks in classrooms are distanced six feet apart, teachers have plexiglass protectors on their desks, and of course everyone has to wear masks properly.” Schools in California that are allowed to reopen are closely following CDC guidelines to keep students and staff safe.